Hello all. This week I studied lots of noise theory for making the new map called “Road with River and Forest”.
When I started to the making the map, I figured out that I needed to apply more advanced noises, like Perlin Noise. Noise is created when we assign a number to a map tile between 1.0 and 0.0. 0.0 is black while 1.0 is white. The Perlin noise looks like this:
I consider this map as an elevation map. White areas are highest points while black areas are the smallest. Think of mountains, hills, valleys, water etc. Also, Perlin noise tends to give the exact same result, so I need to adjust the frequency as well as adding some X and Y offset to give it a “pseudo-randomity.”
And when I apply this noise on the map:
Quite good. But not enough. This is just Perlin noise and wanted to try some other noises as well. This was Unity’s Perlin Noise, so I searched and found a library called FastNoise. I implemented its C# version and got several results:
The water, dirt, and rock percentages are different from each other. I will continue to adjust the noises and try to create a normal habitat that is straight out of Mother Nature, and also fun to play with.
So stay in tune!
Hello folks! This week I was working on “Road with a River and Trees” generator. But before that Erhan and I wanted to make it more spicy and colorful at the start. We wanted to add different tile types and make it in such a way that you wouldn’t need to change the theme and use it with colors already.
So, for this purpose, first I need an excel sheet. Tileset system works on .csv files that hold IDs, names, and tags for the tiles. According to this information, the tile system generates a class that holds them as new tile objects.
The new tile I wanted to add was Forest. It will be used for creating random trees on the map.
When the .csv file is imported, the new tile will be seen like this on Inspector:
Now the new tile file is present in Tile Definitions and Tag Definitions on TileSetsDatabase scriptable object. This SO holds the tile variables, and they are accessible in code as well. All I need is to call a tile, I write like this:
But it’s not finished yet. Now I need to create an atlas for this tile. To do this, there’s a built-in atlas creator in ProDnD.
On this atlas creator, I need to select Forest in the list and choose the Forest tile textures from the Project folder. And when I did this I was able to create the result that I wanted:
As you can see, there are tiny little cutie green trees in the map. I hope I will be finishing this generator by next week.
Stay in tune!
Hello folks! This week has been spent on researching mostly. (since there are no “catastrophic” bugs, we decided to work on new generators.)
And I came with a few ideas.
These are the new generator ideas. The English names of the maps are (in order): Road with a river and a forest, Arachnophobia, Topography Map, Circular Maze and Treehouse (Elvish)
Road with a river and a forest map is chosen for the new generator idea. Erhan and I exchanged lots of ideas and had a brainstorming session to flesh out the map.
The map consists of a bunch of parameters that adjusts the elements of the map:
- The density of the trees (how much are they scattered or clump?)
- Number of trees
- Growth location
- Length and thickness
- Meander level
- Number and size of the rocks
- Topography of rocks
The idea is still fresh so we decided to think on paper. You can check out the sketches we made:
Last but not least, I started to impelement this on Unity:
I plan to implement this on next week, so stay in tune!
Hello! It’s been a wonderful new year event for us and I hope that it’s the same for you!
This week’s update is the Share feature of ProDnD. I fixed the Share button (somehow the needed components were missing so I replaced them) so you can share your maps on Reddit with ease!
Other than that, as Gray Lake Studios, all together we played a board game called “Betrayal At House On The Hill” and I must say it was so much fun! It was my first board game session and surely it’ll be the best one. The game is “procedural” so there were lots of unpredictable moments. We had so much fun and this game session has shown me that board games are a-w-e-s-o-m-e!
We recorded the game session so it’ll be available on YouTube in near future. (The session is Turkish.)
Next thing I’ve done in this week is watching some tutorials about Unity. The first tutorial I’ve watched is about the newest Unity feature, the TileMap. I WAITED for months for this feature and I was so eager to use, but unfortunately, tutorials were kind of late. But the wait is over and you can find it below.
The second tutorial is about SOLID design principle. I’ve decided to get into the design patterns and refresh my memory from school, so I watched some videos about it. They are important aspects of programming and with them, the process gets easier and you’re less prone to make mistakes. You can watch them with these links I’m going to share.
See you in next week!